Essay Questions for the Class of 2017
Essay A: What matters most to you, and why?
Essay B: Why Stanford?
Your answers for both answers should not exceed 1,100 words. Stanford has suggested the following word limits for both the essays.
Essay Word Count
Essay A 650-850
Essay B 250-450
There are also some formatting guidelines; do look these up on Stanford’s website.
Other application material requirements:
1. Recommendations: Two recommendations are required. One
should be from your direct supervisor at work or the next best alternative (if you have not disclosed your MBA plans at work). The other recommendation can be from an additional supervisor or a peer evaluator.
Following are the recommendation questions:
a. How does the candidate’s performance compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.
b. Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response.
c. (optional) Is there anything else we should know?
The recommendation letters should be double spaced and no longer than three pages.
Additionally, recommenders fill a grid to check box qualities that are desired in you as an applicant.
2. Resume : submit a one page business resume.
3. Undergrad scores– a three year degree is valid. Report your undergrad GPA along with the scale used by the institution. You also have to upload a copy of your transcripts
4. GMAT or GRE- self report scores from one single session.
5. TOEFL/ IELTS/ PTE – If you studied from a college where the language of instruction was completely English, then you qualify for a waiver. Score requirement is 100 for TOEFL (internet) and 7 for IELTS
6. Application fee– $275
7. Interviews are by invitation only. Stanford has announced that it will invite about 1000 applicants to interview this year. The interviews are mostly conducted by an alum
Reapplicants have to submit a new application.
Stanford does not give out feedback to denied applicants.